As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools. They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion. Psalm 84:6-7 他 們 經 過 流 淚 谷 , 叫 這 谷 變 為 泉 源 之 地 ; 並 有 秋 雨 之 福 蓋 滿 了 全 谷 。 他 們 行 走 , 力 上 加 力 , 各 人 到 錫 安 朝 見   神 。

Friday, June 30, 2006

Thinly sliced pork: DIY

I first had this about 2 1/2 years ago in Taipei, when my father bought this delicious thin sliced pork for me right before I hop on the plane toward the US. It goes great with anything... by itself, with porridge, with soup... etc. Just a little bit of heat will melt the fat away... there are simply no expression humanely possible to describe that soothing and melting sensation when the finely sliced meat dissolves in your mouth.

Believing that there can be no equal, I gave up searching for it in the US before it even began. I requested extra portions of it on my way back from Taiwan 6 months ago... knowing that it may be another year before I'll taste it again. Well... on an off chance, I found something similar at Ding's Garden. The only problem was... they don't know how to cut this meat into very thin slices without it breaking apart.

I bought it two times before from Ding's Garden. And both time I was disappointed on how thick they were cut. So this time, I told them... "don't cut it, I'll cut it myself..." Which is what I did....

So now I'm enjoying it. One small piece at a time. Just need to really time my rate of consumption.... because behind every good tasting food... there's usually a lot of fat.

This is the uncut, original pork... I lack the right terminology for the part. But I think it's the part close to the butt and thighs. The trick is to freeze it overnight first. So that it won't break apart too easily when you apply pressure with the knife.

Half way done. Getting a bit tired by now.

Ok, finally done. Toward the end, I was getting really tired. So the slices were slightly thicker... but it still tasted good.

Now I just need to make some porridge to go with it. Hahaha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home