As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools. They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion. Psalm 84:6-7 他 們 經 過 流 淚 谷 , 叫 這 谷 變 為 泉 源 之 地 ; 並 有 秋 雨 之 福 蓋 滿 了 全 谷 。 他 們 行 走 , 力 上 加 力 , 各 人 到 錫 安 朝 見   神 。

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Finally, I went to Tainan after around 25 years

Finally!!!!

My childhood memories of taking the train has been fuzzy at best. The only things that I remember was how tasty the bento was: otherwise known as "railroad lunch box." There has yet to be an equal that I can find in other places in Taiwan... nevermind the US. There are some imitators, but none equal.

So this morning, I got up extra early and booked the 8am train to Tainan. I got to the Taipei station around 7:45am... and....

I hopped on the wrong train... what the...

Alright, keep in mind that I've not gone on a train for over 25 years. So a little silly mistake like that is reasonable, right?

1. The wrong train:

This train would still take me to Tainan if I continue to ride on it. Except that it stops at almost all the stations. So even though it leaves 15 minutes earlier than the one I booked, it will arrive one hour later. So I called for help: Jasmine (Yu mei mei) who happened to have a train schedule booklet handy with her at all times (good, I still don't know why) and who grew up in Tainan. She will be my tour guide while I pay for the tour in quantities of food (we're back to the trading eras).
Ok, I got off at the wrong station. I didn't know until I got off and the train left. I was supposed to get off at Hsin Chu and hop back onto the right train. But I panicked and didn't know what to do. So I got off at Su Lin and needed to wait for a local train to take me to Hsin Chu.



And finally, I got to Hsin Chu. My original booked train had been long gone by then. Fortunately, there was a next train that have the same fare prices (so no adjustments were necessary) and gets there only 40 minutes later. So I waited at Hsin Chu and finally....

I can say that I'm going to Hsin Chu... and paid for a lesson on train riding in Taiwan.

2. The correct train:
These are the views from the correct trains.




3. The legendary "Railroad Lunchbox"
And..... this is the best lunch box I've ever had in my life!!!!!


4. I got to Tainan!!!!!

Ok, Jasmine, I know... I made a mistake la...

Jasmine borrowed a scooter so that we don't need to walk as much and can get to more places in shorter times. Look at how cute and funny it is with her ways to blend into the local. Now, I'm not sure if I'd do that, perhaps next time, I'd do it for fun.













Yu Mei mei is a very responsible tour guide. She's looking at the map of Tainan of places to eat. Wait a minute, I thought you grew up here? Haha...

Yummy coffin board






Alright, let me see how I look with a helmet. Thanks for not asking me to wear the pink one.









Time to go back to Taipei. Haha... finally, I went to Tainan.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I miss the FOOD in Tainan!! and Jasmine 2!!! whoa, I didn't know that you two arranged to meet up! she surely took you to all the tasty places she knows.. the meatball, the green tea place, oh man!!!! WONDERFUL! I wish I will have friends from here to go back w/ me next time..... *Ar....... *sorrie, being a little hysterical =p

2:27 PM

 
Blogger Donald said...

Ya, we talked about it back at the Circles meeting a few months ago. She was kind enough to show me around. My cousin and other friend failed me...

Hehe, thanks, Jasmine.

7:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home